Just came back from a 2 weeks’ trip to China, the startup culture is certainly growing fast in China especially Beijing. I was not able to blog my experience over there because wordpress.com was still blocked. It was blocked in 2008 when I was there for NOC and it still is.
“Self-hosted wordpress blog did not face any blocking issues, when I was there”
Alternatively, there are still ways to blog through wordpress.com. One, you can get a VPN – this way you can access facebook and twitter as well but it will cost you, unless you are in China for a long period of time otherwise try looking for free VPN tunnel. Two, you can simply make use of wordpress.com – Post by Email service like I did for this post.
I would also like to share with you guys some internet services that I faced problems/blocked while I was there.
- Gmail – It was laggy and I had to keep reloading.
- Flickr – it’s doing fine
- Youtube – chose “优酷“
- Evernote – is good too even there is a clone for it (麦库记事)
- Dropbox – is syncing well too BUT if someone sends you a download link it will be blocked. And Yes! there is a clone for it too. (酷盘）
- Facebook & Twitter – as everybody knows, it is blocked. and there are always clones available (人人) & (微博）
- Skype – is horrible!, it was great in the past…:(
So as people says, when in “China” do what the chinese do! I got myself a QQ account. The IM service from QQ is great, video chat is also much smoother than Skype (Singapore-China), transfer of files are very fast as well. And to keep track of the latest tech stuffs in town, I got myself a weibo. Following Tech2ipo & web20share as a start. Here is a site that will be useful if you want to see if that any particular site is block in China. (http://greatfirewallofchina.org/)
- China is Fine for Startups; Twitter and Facebook Aren’t Everything (techinasia.com)
- China Great Firewall can’t stop Facebook (sfgate.com)